Lee's Sunday Supper is all about Comfort Food Favorites. As a Southern girl, I had a hard time with the decision of what to make. Normally, I would do my Grandma's Mac & Cheese and Fried Chicken or my Nanny's Swedish Meatballs. Yet I wanted to do something a little healthier. Nothing screams comfort to me like a big bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup. I'm not talking normal Chicken and Noodle Soup either - I put a Thai spin on this classic dish. This dish is perfect when you are feeling sick. The spice of the garlic and red pepper will clear your sinuses. If you have a sore throat, back down on the heat.
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups de-boned and de-skinned rotisserie chicken
1+ stalk lemongrass., finely sliced and minced (I used two, but I love lemongrass)
1 bay leaf
2" fresh ginger, grated
3 large carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 red chili, minced (or a milder pepper)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1/3 cup light coconut milk
White pepper (to taste)
1 hand full of chopped Cilantro
Thai rice noodles (I used Pho)
Sriracha to taste (optional)
- Start off by making a good chicken broth. If you do not have the time to do this, you can use store bought, which is what I used for this recipe. Just make sure to get the low sodium!
- Put your chicken broth into a large pan and add your minced lemongrass, bay leaf, ginger, carrots, celery. Bring to a boil and back to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for one hour. While your soup is cooking, de-bone and de-skin your chicken. You will only need 2 cups for this recipe so you can use the leftovers for something else! Cover and refrigerate while the soup is simmering.
- After the soup simmers for an hour, add the fish sauce, coconut milk, pepper and chicken. Simmer while you cook your noodles, as directed. Just be careful not to over cook them.
- Add your cooked noodles to the soup mixture. Taste to see if it is too spicy (add some sugar) or not spicy enough (and some sriacha).
- Place into a big soup bow and garnish with cilantro