When we moved to Tampa three years ago, the first small appliance Gabe bought me was a KitchenAid Mixer. He got a great deal on it from an estate sale and every time I walk in the kitchen, it brings a smile to my face. I have made everything from homemade sausage to homemade pasta with the mixer. I found this recipe online for French Vanilla Ice Cream and now that it is literally 100 degrees in FL, it was the perfect time to break out the ice cream attachment.
French Vanilla Ice Cream
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
4 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat half-and-half until very hot but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. Place egg yolks and sugar in the KitchenAid® Stand Mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 30 seconds, or until well blended and slightly thickened.
3. Continuing on Speed 2, very gradually add half-and-half; mix until blended. Return half-and-half mixture to medium saucepan; cook over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge and mixture is steamy, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
4. Transfer half-and-half mixture into large bowl; stir in whipping cream, vanilla and salt. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours.
5. Assemble and engage the KitchenAid® Ice Cream Maker attachment. Turn to STIR Speed (Speed 1). Using a container with a spout, pour mixture into freeze bowl. Continue on STIR (Speed 1) for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Immediately transfer ice cream into serving dishes, or freeze in an airtight container.
6. Top with strawberry preserves or other topping of choice.
What would you make with a KitchenAid mixer? Let PartSelect know and enter to win your own!