I always feel chili is better when you use your own seasonings instead of a mix. You can control what is put in your food.
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon Cavenders Greek Seasoning
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground oregano
Reserve 2 tablespoons of the mix for your filet chunks.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 vidalia onion chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1 can or bottle of stout, I used Cigar City Brewery Cubano Espresso but any Guinness or similar stout will work
1 lb filet mignon cut in 1" pieces
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 15 oz can red kidney beans
1 15 oz can black beans
1 4 oz can tomato paste
2 Cups beef broth
Water as needed
- Heat your olive oil in a large pan - I use a dutch oven.
- Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Add your ground turkey, brown and drain then add your spices and stout beer. Saute for 5 min.
- Add your tomato paste and drained diced tomatoes. Saute for 5 min.
- Add the beans and 2 cups of beef broth.
- Let simmer for 1 hour, checking frequently to make sure it isn't too thick. Add water as needed for your preferred chili texture.
- After your chili has simmered, cook your filet in a separate pan with olive oil and butter (optional) until it has a nice crust on all sides.
- Add your seared filet into the chili and let simmer for 30 min.
Frito's Scoops, diced onion, shredded cheese, macaroni or spaghetti, sliced jalapeno's, sour cream.
Need more tailgate ideas? Check out this lineup:
Pre Game Warm-ups:
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers by Real Best Recipe
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Papa’s Potato Salad & Baked Beans by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals
- Louisiana Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip
- Moose Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked